Thursday, October 2, 2014

1st and 2nd Day of School

So..the 1st day...where do I even start? Nothing quite like screwing up your kid's first day of school, to make you feel like a real rock star of a parent..Let me explain..

So way back in May at the end of the school year, the school sent home a flyer saying Kindergarten registration would happen in August (most schools around here do it in May). So for whatever I reason I assumed I'd receive more information on it as the summer went on. Well we all know that saying about assuming things..I never did receive information so I kept looking online to see when the school was doing registration, I looked at the school's website and the district website. Never saw anything that pertained to our particular school other than meet the teacher night the Friday before school starts. So I assumed (there I go again), I'd be able to register Abby for kindergarten at that time. I get my paperwork together and we hit the meet the teacher, it was CRAZY! And no, we could not register that day. So we'd have to wait til Monday, the first day of school, to register her. They said just get here early and we'll get her started, I thought OK, great, no big deal. WRONG!

We get to the school early Monday morning, they had all the slackers (errr, I mean parents) who hadn't registered their kids sign a sheet so we could be seen by the registrar. We were like number 2 on the list, so I was hopeful it'd be quick and painless, WRONG again!  They made us all just sit and wait until after 8am (school starts at 8), before they started seeing people to register. Finally our turn arrives and turns out I didn't have all the paperwork I needed. UGH! What? I didn't have her social security card (I thought I just needed her birth certificate-my bad) or a shot record that showed all of her shots (the doctor's office printed an old one out for me-nice). By this time it's after 9am, good thing we just sat around since 7:20, and they told us they stopped taking registrations at 10am. So we grab our insufficient paperwork and our very disappointed kindergartener and head home. Determined to get her registered for day 2 of school, I grabbed her social security card and head up to the doctor's office, 15-20 minutes a way, to get an updated shot record.  Success! But this time it's after 10am, but at least I for sure have all the necessary paperwork to register Abby the next day. 

So Abby and I decided to go have lunch with Ethan, and as we were leaving, I decided to ask again if I could just get Abby registered so we wouldn't have to mess with it in the morning, and since I now had all the right paperwork. And they let me! HALLELUJAH! After talking the the Assistant Principal, I learned that they had been doing registration throughout August but at several different schools in the District, which I never knew, so when I was looking at the registration dates on the website I just saw the school's name, not realizing it was meant for the WHOLE district, I thought it was just registration for that particular school..And that's why nothing ever showed up for our school, because they didn't hold a registration there...I take full responsibility for messing up Abby's first day, it was totally my fault, but  I do think some sort of sinister force was working against me..Haha!

SO...Abby's 1st day of school was actually the 2nd day of school..We're just happy it all finally worked out and she absolutely loves school and her teacher and she has been a great student.

Ethan is doing great in school too, he was excited about 3rd grade (and still is)! Luckily I didn't royally mess up his first day of school. He was so sweet though, he was worried about Abby and actually got kind of mad at me when he found out she didn't get to go to school that 1st day.  He has a male teacher this year, his first one, and he seems to really like him and school. Yay!
The (should've been) 1st day of school picture!

The 2nd 1st day of school or is that the 1st 2nd day of school..

Abby loves her teacher! And I think it's safe to say her teacher loves her! She sends home notes that say nice things like, "Abby is a joy to have in class!" :)

 Already concentrating on her school work/coloring page...Ready for mom and dad to leave. (sniff sniff)..She was ready for kindergarten!

When my family came down for the weekend of Ethan's baptism, it also happened to be Grandparents day at school. So my Mom and Dad got to spend some time with the kids in their classes. Grammie even got to play a game with Ethan's class!


Fun day for the grandparents and the grandkids!

No comments: