August started out pretty low key but ended up being kind of a crazy whirlwind of a month...
I signed the kids up for a free 4 day soccer skills camp-(thanks Sharon for the heads up), it was with the Rush Soccer League and I thought this would be a great intro to soccer for Ethan and Abby and if they liked it great, we'll sign them up and if they didn't then we weren't out anything...Ethan liked it, Abby not as much, so she sat on the sidelines with me.
Practicing some skills
Practicing her half smile
I even bought Abby a pink soccer ball hoping that would entice her, she loves the ball but didn't want to play with the other kids.
Highlight of soccer camp: On the 2nd day a kid a little older than Ethan came over to Ethan and said:
"What's your name?"
Ethan: "Ethan"
"You're really good at soccer!"
Ethan: "I know, I am good at soccer..."
Ha! Maybe we need to find a free clinic on humility...
I told him to say thank you (he did) and then he told the other kid he was good at soccer too.
On totally different note:
Both Alex's grandma and my grandma passed away in the same week. Not totally unexpected, my Nana was 95 and had been in an assisted living facility for about 2 years. Alex's grandma had not been well since May and had been in and out of the hospital. It was unexpected that they would go in the same week though. So we attended Grandma Josie's funeral on Wednesday, and I flew to Utah on Thursday for my Nana's funeral on Friday. That was hard having funerals back to back like that. But I can't help being glad for them, they don't have to suffer in bodies and minds that were failing them, they are with their loved ones who have gone on before and they are at peace.
Both funeral services were lovely. Beautiful sentiments and memories were shared, the flowers were gorgeous and perfect, and lots of friends and family were in attendance, all reflected on how much each loved and were so dedicated to their family.
Josie's Children: (L-R) (Virgil-Linda's husband), Linda, Eloise, Helen, John
Josie's grandsons and pallbearers: (L-R) Eric, Alex, Anthony, Robert, Rueben, Mark, Richard, (my)Alex
Josie would be proud!
Alex (and his Dad) sprinkling dust on the grave.
I wish I would've gotten a better picture of all of the beautiful flowers..
The next morning I was off to Utah for my Nana's funeral. I got to Utah on Thursday, the funeral was on Friday. So we spent Thursday just hanging out. Going through some of my Nana's things. It was fun to see some of the things she kept over the years. Like letters from my Grandpa "Bampa" when he was stationed in Florida during WWII. And some memorabilia from younger years and stories about her friends. She had 3 best friends, they met when they were 10 and remained friends for 70+ years. I can imagine what a happy reunion they must have had in heaven. My sister, Kristi and I helped my mom write my Nana's eulogy or "Reflections on Ruth" as my mom liked to call it. We laughed and laughed and laughed, sounds odd I know but we did. I think Nana would've appreciated that. I learned a lot from my Nana, she was quite the glamour girl with tons of shoes, purses, makeup, perfume, jewelry and fancy clothes. My "Bampa" even had a custom made silk lined sleeping bag for her (he loved camping, she didn't...but she would go camping with him as long as she had her silk lined sleeping bag). She taught me how to be a lady (some of it stuck some of it didn't) and showed me how to be a good friend, to work hard and how to love your family. I am grateful for her example and her testimony.
My Mom and her Brother Mike
Me, Mom, Kim and Kristi
My Nana's favorite color was lavender. :)
Nana's grandkids: (L-R) Kristi, Brian, David, Me,
Shannon, Kim, Michelle
Shannon, Kim, Michelle
Having attended two funerals in 3 days, was hard. But it made me realize how grateful I am for my family and that we can be reunited with our loved ones once our time in this life is done. It also made me realize what a legacy both of these ladies created and I hope to carry on that legacy in my own little ways with my family. I am also very grateful for a wonderful mother in law (and my awesome hubby) who took such good care of my kiddo's while I attended the funeral. It was great to see some family that I hadn't seen in many many years and to be together to celebrate the life of our Nana.
Switching gears a bit...
This is my Dad's new toy, it's called a Spyder, we call it the "Bat mobile" it does sort of look like a Transformer too. No matter what you call it, it was a lot of fun to drive!!!
And in other news while I was in Utah...someone decided to cut her hair...
This is how long it was...
Oops! That's where she chopped it...
Yeah, there's no hiding that
Let's have the professionals cut it this time, OK?
The final product. So I know she's my kid and obviously I think she's cute, but I think she looks pretty darn adorable with her new "do".
I told her if she didn't move or cry during her hair cut we would ride the carousel after.
And I had to throw this picture in, Grammie got her that cute hat. She LOVES it, her favorite color is purple, just like her great Nana!
AND...
Ethan turned 6! My mom and sister Kim came down from Utah to celebrate with us. We decided a trip to San Antonio was in order so we could go to Sea World and feed the dolphins. We also had a small party at home with cake and ice cream and a few presents for our sweet BIG boy!
6 Facts about Ethan; He's very funny, he's kind of a home body, he likes wearing his PJ's all day, he likes to sleep with his stuffed dog, Dozer, he's affectionate loves to give hugs and kisses, and he's really become quite the brave little swimmer this summer!
Grandma Linda and Grandpa Virgil brought over this awesome Cars cake!
AND...
Ethan turned 6! My mom and sister Kim came down from Utah to celebrate with us. We decided a trip to San Antonio was in order so we could go to Sea World and feed the dolphins. We also had a small party at home with cake and ice cream and a few presents for our sweet BIG boy!
6 Facts about Ethan; He's very funny, he's kind of a home body, he likes wearing his PJ's all day, he likes to sleep with his stuffed dog, Dozer, he's affectionate loves to give hugs and kisses, and he's really become quite the brave little swimmer this summer!
Grandma Linda and Grandpa Virgil brought over this awesome Cars cake!
This was the year of the superhero's but not the same one at the same time. :) It was also all about Mario Kart. He got the Wii game and a new backpack for school. And he also got an awesome easel to draw on and write all our names on to tell how much time we have for recess. :)
Check out Abby's cute and a half nightgown that Grammie made her! Even her doll got a matching one!
Then we hit San Antonio!
Ready to hit the pool after relaxing in the hotel for a bit!
Then ready for dinner at Carino's!
Next day...
Next day...
SHAMMMUUUUUU!!!!!!
That's me and Abby second to last car and that's Kim and Ethan in the last car.
The sea lion show was great! And there was the cutest little otter in the show too. Otterly adorable!
I was quite impressed by the orca's, how they defy gravity the way they do is quite puzzling (maybe not for some but for me it is). Seems like the thing with the big Shamu show now is to try to get the crowd as drenched as possible (see above picture). My sister Kim found this part highly entertaining! I guess it is good fun to see whale tales splashing gallons and gallons of water onto the poor suckers that sat close.
I think in my next life, I'd like to be an animal trainer at Sea World. It would be kind of a stinky job but I think I'd really like it.
So we saw all the shows and last but not least we fed the dolphins! This was the birthday boy's favorite thing at Sea World. His other favorite thing is his souvenir Sea World sword. Abby got a little Shamu, which has traveled with us wherever we go.
Fun, fun, fun day at Sea World, even though it was SOOOOOO hot, we nearly melted to death! Luckily we got to go straight to the hotel pool and jump right in, we did our best imitations of Shamu but I don't defy gravity the way the orca's do.
And the next day I got to see my long lost friend Ana! And she was so nice and cut my hair for me! She is awesome and I love my haircut. It's amazing what a pick me up a good hair cut is! I feel so much better and lighter. And it was so great to catch up with my "old" and dear friend!
Such a fun trip! Great way to celebrate our special birthday boy!
And lastly...
1st day of school!!!
Can't believe Ethan's in the 1st grade already!! Me oh my how time flies!
Ready to start the day!
OR, maybe not!
He wasn't too thrilled once we got inside and he didn't know anyone. None of the kids were the same, obviously his teacher was different, his classroom was different. I think he thought he'd go back to his old class and old teacher and all his same friends. I had a hard time getting him to sit down I think he wanted to run away! He did finally sit down but then he started to cry just a tiny bit. So I hugged him told him to be brave and that he was going to have a good day. He wiped his eyes and just sucked it up and put on his brave face! Broke my heart a little but I was so proud of him!
Let's hope and pray this is true!!!
I really like his teacher, she seems nice and pretty laid back. I think Ethan likes her too. AND she has a bunny in her classroom and a gerbil too. So Ethan LOVES that!
Wow, August! What a whirlwind! Glad it's almost done!


























2 comments:
Wow, that's a busy month! I am sorry to hear about your Grandma's that's so hard. Abby's hair is adorable short. I can't believe how grown up Ethan seems.
Sorry, That was me that made a comment not Matt, :)
Post a Comment