Sunday, August 5, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Had a conversation with Ethan and Abby on the way to the cemetery, that went something like this...
Ethan: Mom, we're going to Amber's grave?
Me: Yep.
Ethan: I miss baby Amber.
Me: Oh, you do?
 Ethan: I love her so much.
Me: Me too, bud. Me too.
Abby: Mom, baby Amber is with Jesus?
Me: Yep, she's in heaven with Jesus.
Abby: Why did baby Amber and Jesus die?
Me: (Long pause-how do I explain that to a 3 yr. old?) Well...they just did. (Brilliant, right? At least she seemed satisfied with that answer).
Abby: Baby Amber misses us?
Ethan: Yes, she loves us too.
Abby: Everyone misses Amber?
Me: Our whole family misses Amber.
Abby: And love her too?
Me: Yes, we all love and miss Amber.
Ethan: And she's ours?
Me: Yes, she's a part of our family forever.

 I sure love these kids and am really proud of them in the way they've handled losing their baby sister. I'm glad they talk about her and express their love for her. So grateful for our little piece of heaven watching over us and waiting for us. We sure love our angel. Thankful for my forever family!

5 comments:

Singled Out said...

Should NOT have read this at work. I am trying so hard not to break down and cry.

This is so sweet and tender!

Terri said...

Thanks, I was looking for a reason to cry today! Sweet precious little ones.

Beth said...

Love this conversation. So sweet.

Melanie B said...

I'm with Krisit I should be working but I'm crying instead. Such sweet kids. Great parents too.

Kristin said...

So glad you're open with them and let them talk about it. I think I told you that my dad had an older sister die shortly after birth and I grew up knowing all about her. She's an active part of our family even though she died before any of the rest of us were born.