Our Stake had an opportunity to help the residents of Galveston clean out their houses, on Sunday and Alex went to help. I'm so proud of him, he's always willing to help and be of service. He works so hard (physically and mentally) during the week and had an especially tiring week last week, he could have just said Sorry guys--I'm out. But he didn't. That's actually one of the many reasons I married him-he truly loves to help other people. So here are few pictures that Cory (a friend from the ward) took.

Boats along on the freeway

I don't think this building is gonna make it in next storm (or even the next strong breeze for that matter)...


He said one lady, who was very emotional and grateful for their help, was totally overwhelmed by all the things she had to do (as you can imagine) and didn't really know where to begin, and then they showed up and they were able to help her get done all the things she wanted to get done. Way to go Mormon Helping Hands! Another guy they helped had to get rid of his clothes and all his memorobilia. Alex also said that quite a few of the houses had about 5 feet of water in them and there were lots of downed trees etc. It's hard to imagine the magnitude of the clean up that has to happen in Galveston and other cities along the coast-it may take years and may not ever be the same...My heart goes out to all those people.
6 comments:
I like how Cory's pictures are really bad,and yet we both have used them, oh-well supply and demand. Apperently the Men wern't as good with the cameras as the womenfolk.
I think it's because they don't blog..So now I take my camera everywhere in the hopes I'll get something good for the blog...Lame huh?
I see how my husband's pictures seem to end up on everyone's blogs...I agree with Terri...they are bad, you just can't trust men with the camera. See ladies, we should have gotten a bunch of us together, driven down there, taken pictures, and come home. All for the sake of our blogs! And Kelli, I love the comment about the building not making it through the next storm or the strong breeze...I think you nailed that one! LOVE YOU GUYS!
My Stake went down this past Sunday also! It was unbelievable how much destruction there was, but then you would turn a corner and it would look like hardly anything happened. We worked on two houses. One was fairly close to the gulf side and it had had over 5 feet of water in it. The second house was closer to the bayside and you could tell it was on higher ground. It only got 2 feet of water. Don't get me started about the stink!
A friend of mine took tons of pics and I'm waiting on her to send them out before doing my post. You'll see those pics and almost smell the stench!
That is so awesome you guys were willing to help out! I am glad you guys survived without much damage!
Kell Bell! Hello I got your blog from you sisters. You are a great blogger! Your cute sense of humor totally comes through. Good for Alex for being such a helper. It reminds me of the story of Brigham YOung interupting conference and sending men horses and supplies to those pioneers stuck up in the mountains trying to get into the valley. my blog is melanie-bingham.blogspot
love ya
Post a Comment