This weekend was so much fun! We got to hang out with some of our most favorite friends, we stayed in BEAUTIFUL accomadations (thanks Bonnie and Isaac), we ate, we laughed, we shot shotguns and handguns (new to me and I liked it) we watched our kids play together. We made breakfasts and went out for dinner. We got to see some wildlife and some hills! I got to have dinner with one of my most favorite cousins, Dawn (http://www.racingdawn.blogspot.com/) and her hubby (who happens to be one of my favorite cousins husbands)! San Antonio was #6 marathon in her 12 marathons in 12 months, I know she rocks! And oh yeah there was that little thing of running 13.1 miles!
So 13.1 is hard! I'm not going to lie...I did it in 2:40=equals just over a 12 min. mile I was really hoping to keep it closer to 10 min. miles but could not. And I did have to walk about mile 11 for a little bit. I guess I hit the proverbial wall, I was OK physically, my brain just kept saying "YOU NEED TO STOP NOW!" and I couldn't change my brain's mind! The good thing with having a bad time is that there is only room for improvement right? But I finished it and I'm happy to have it done!
Some cool and not so cool things about the race:
The weather was cool=cool!
I have a blister the size of Texas on my foot=not cool!
I'm not as stiff and sore as I thought I'd be=cool!
So 13.1 is hard! I'm not going to lie...I did it in 2:40=equals just over a 12 min. mile I was really hoping to keep it closer to 10 min. miles but could not. And I did have to walk about mile 11 for a little bit. I guess I hit the proverbial wall, I was OK physically, my brain just kept saying "YOU NEED TO STOP NOW!" and I couldn't change my brain's mind! The good thing with having a bad time is that there is only room for improvement right? But I finished it and I'm happy to have it done!
Some cool and not so cool things about the race:
The weather was cool=cool!
I have a blister the size of Texas on my foot=not cool!
I'm not as stiff and sore as I thought I'd be=cool!
My shoulders are the most sore=not cool!
Cara and I stayed at a hotel the night before the race (with no kids and no husbands), slept great!=cool!!!
We got lost trying to get back to our hotel (after running 13 miles, walking 3 miles is pretty much torture)!=not cool!
I got to run with my awesome friend Cara (who did great)!=cool!
I had 2 little ol' grannies pass me up at mile 9=not cool!
A lot of support from bystanders=cool!
Too many runners to navigate through=not cool!
Funny signs and t-shirts like "I heart fast women"-which was held by an elderly gentleman I might add. And "Run like you stole something"! A t-shirt that said ""I thought you said it was gonna be 2.62 miles!!" Another t-shirt said "Dear God, Please let there be someone behind me reading this shirt!"=cool!
I've decided most of downtown San Antonio is old and not very pretty, (except the riverwalk) and the lame-o finish line ended in the parking lot of the Alamodome with only ONE way out (with at least 30,000 people) that is SOOO=not cool!
Having my first official half marathon down=COOL!
We got lost trying to get back to our hotel (after running 13 miles, walking 3 miles is pretty much torture)!=not cool!
I got to run with my awesome friend Cara (who did great)!=cool!
I had 2 little ol' grannies pass me up at mile 9=not cool!
A lot of support from bystanders=cool!
Too many runners to navigate through=not cool!
Funny signs and t-shirts like "I heart fast women"-which was held by an elderly gentleman I might add. And "Run like you stole something"! A t-shirt that said ""I thought you said it was gonna be 2.62 miles!!" Another t-shirt said "Dear God, Please let there be someone behind me reading this shirt!"=cool!
I've decided most of downtown San Antonio is old and not very pretty, (except the riverwalk) and the lame-o finish line ended in the parking lot of the Alamodome with only ONE way out (with at least 30,000 people) that is SOOO=not cool!
Having my first official half marathon down=COOL!
Before the race started
Super cute Cara ready to race!


6 comments:
Whew hew! Great recap! Hope you're able to enjoy a little recovery and rest! We had so much fun at dinner too! Can't wait to see you guys at Christmas. Congrats on the race finish! The next one will be even better! :)
Don't worry, the Run Girl will be pretty! Congrats Kelli, you did it, who cares about the time. I've read enough articles about not having expectaions about pace,or placing, but just finishing, the rest is gravy! And you did! You should be so proud.
You are AWESOME!
You Rocked! Terri is right - that first big one is all about finishing & YOU DID! Way to go girl! And can I just say I'm totally jealous about the Cara/Kelli sleepover. Sounds so fun. :)
I think if I had run, my title would be "Walk-n-Roll-over-and-die" which you did not, so WAY TO GO! Finishing is winning in my mind. Glad you had a good time.
Kelli- you are so awesome! I loved all the pictures- and I'm glad you had a great time- I just think you are awesome for completing one!
Post a Comment