Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Are my kids that crazy? Or is it just you!

So I've had two experiences in the last week that really aren't that big of deal but for whatever reason have completely bothered me! I've never had strangers say anything to me directly about my kids and their misbehavior (which to me in the examples below they aren't really misbehaving). But twice in the last week I've had two ladies say things about my kids under their breath but definitely loud enough for me to hear. And I'm just annoyed by it! Here are my experiences.

First experience, was at the post office after hours of course I would NEVER venture into a post office during regular business hours with both children! Especially the post office closest to me, the workers are SLOW and not very nice. Anyway I had a couple things to mail and needed stamps so I went to the automated machine thingy. A lady was already there trying to mail about 25 irregular shaped envelopes, and was taking quite a long time (as you can imagine). As it is after hours she and I are the only people in the joint so I allow my kids to run from one end of the hall to the other while the lady takes forever to finish her stuff. FINALLY she finishes and I start to grab my things and she says, "Well, let me move my stuff!" (with major attitude). I say "Oh, yeah of course". As she's getting her stuff out of the way, a nice guy walks in and is in line behind me. And talking to me about Ethan running the hall, says "If he does that his whole life, he's going to stay nice and slim". I say "Yeah he could probably do that all day." Lady who is putting her 25 stamps on her 25 envelopes says (again with much annoyance and attitude in her voice) "Well, he's probably already run a half marathon doing that"! Then she says "SORRY, I guess I'm just NOT amused!!! I'm in a foul mood!" I didn't even turn around, didn't even acknowledge that she said it. Now I realize what she said is not that serious but her tone was the problem. And it wasn't like Ethan was getting in her way or pushing the buttons on the machine while she was trying to take care of her business, I guess he was pushing her buttons though. I just wanted to shout OBVIOUSLY you're in a foul mood, and WE don't really care! But I did not and the guy behind me says "Oh, uh huh." She then proceeds to tell him how her daughter has decided to drop out of college because she doesn't like the new coach and she has a full ride scholarship and when she gets home her life is gonna be heck (only she didn't say heck)." And the guy was like "Yeah, oh, really..." He doesn't care! In a last ditch effort to show my total disgust with her rudeness, I throw a glaring look at her as she starts to leave-lame I know. She finishes her story and then she left...Seriously CRAZY!

Next thing...

Today at Hobby Lobby looking in the scrapbook paper section and I'm trying to concentrate and make decisions AND keep my kids in line. They were being really good and not touching stuff or knocking things over, however Ethan stepped up onto the very bottom shelf thing that runs the length of the aisle to look at something higher up and I immediately told him to get down. But Abby saw him do it so she had to try too. So I told them to get down and they did, but the scrapbook section worker lady was all over them, she didn't say anything but ran right over to where they were and started straightening whatever she thought they messed up (which was nothing). So then I make my way through all the scrapbook aisles looking for all the stuff I need and she's basically following us around, sighing each time one of the kids touches something and I can see her attitude and annoyance at my kids start coming to the surface. So I ask her to help me find some of the things I needed, and she did. But there were some things I wasn't sure about so I had to try and figure it out while I looked at stuff. All the while the kids are being good but are bored and trying to push the cart and would occasionally get in the way of other shoppers but I am always aware of what they are doing and move in quickly to get them out of the way and settled but they are 4 and almost 2. And shopping is hard! Anyway we were almost done and I went down the stamp aisle and Ethan loves stamps, so he would pick up one or two and show them to me and I'd say "Oh, cool! Now put it back please." And he would. So we were rounding the corner to go down the next aisle and Ethan held up 2 stamps to show me, I stopped and look at it and tell him to put them back and he did. BUT he put them back with the stamp part facing out. I told him thank you for putting it back. Of course worker lady was still following us and as I round the corner I hear her say all sarcastically "Yeah, cuz that's how they were!" Meaning the stamp was put back improperly because the stamp part was facing out, not in! Seriously? I ALMOST confronted her but being that I'm a bit of a chicken with confrontation I did not. Now I regret it. But really I mean wouldn't her job be SUPER boring if all the stamps were facing in? I mean what would she do? Seriously CRAZY!!!

So look post office lady and Hobby Lobby worker lady, I'm trying my best to be a good patient mom and I'm trying to raise good and respectful children but they ARE children so cut me a little slack please! THANK YOU!

5 comments:

Cristi L. said...

AMEN SISTER!! You should've confronted the Hobby Lobby Lady by running her over with your cart!

Carrie said...

You are rockin' the momma role! Boo to people who don't know or have forgotten how challenging it is to be out and about with the little ones. We had a 'helpful' woman on the airplane tonight giving me suggestions for soothing my screaming 18 month. I should have just handed Kaylee over and said - If you have all the answers, go for it. Again . . . you rock.

Blarney Girl said...

Which Hobby Lobby is it? I'm going to go and turn all the stamps facing out and mess up some of her stuff on the bottom shelf!!!!

Sara said...

LOL@Blarney girl! Totally do that.

I don't get people like that. They are CHILDREN for heaven's sake. *sigh*

I've had a few doozies myself. *knuckle bump*

Kristin said...

First Lady - She obviously has her own children issues and probably was stressed because she didn't know how to mail her packages.

Second Lady - Childless and probably sexless too.

You are much kinder than me. I always mouth off and then regret it later. I was so flustered after leaving WalMart with a SCREAMING Jalen the other day, that I didn't pay attention and he nose dived from his car seat right to the pavement. Good thing he's got brown skin or the bruises would have been awful.