Saturday, July 28, 2012

4th of July and Summer Fun!

I love the 4th of July, but I love it more in Utah. Texas is just too dang hot in July. It's hard to enjoy outside activities when it's 9,000 degrees with 1,000% humidity. But Texans are hearty folk so I'm trying to acclimate to these horribly hot and miserable summers, however it's been 14 years living in Texas and I guess I'm not that hearty yet, wimpy's more like it. I sure don't like the hot humid sticky yuckiness. But I put on my game face for the parade. It is at 9AM, which helps, kinda. And our good friends, the Robinson's, scoped out a place with some shade. We brought donuts and kolaches and had a grand time watching the parade, AND I didn't even melt!
 Waiting for the parade to start...

 Lots of cool old cars and hot rods and trucks!

 "The Whambulance" I wonder how they get patients in and out of there? ;)
 They gave these out at the parade it makes the fireworks look even more 3D.
 The spectators...

The parade was great fun! Easy to get to, easy to find parking, they gave out bottled water and Ice Pops and candy and beads and fans. One bank was even giving out quarters to the kids. I guess that's how they roll in the Woodlands.

One more memorable moment on our way to the parade. We saw a lady get hit by a car, really I should say tapped or bumped she didn't really get hit. But she was crossing the street with her daughter when she shouldn't have (the light just turned green for the cars) and the car next to us didn't see her and started rolling forward and hit her just enough to knock her down (on top of her poor little daughter). But they got up and walked away. I felt bad for her and her daughter and for the guy driving the car, he was obviously very concerned. Not a great way to start your 4th of July celebrations.

After the parade and after naps and dinner, we went to the Robinson's to light off some fireworks. That was fun! I think Jackie and I had the most fun watching the fireworks through the 3D viewing apparatus we got at the parade. Fireworks will never be the same! :D












All in all a great 4th of July! Thanks to the Robinson's!
More Summer Fun...
 We visit Amber's grave every Sunday, I wouldn't say it's 'fun' but we do find some peace there. Sometimes it's just me, or me and Abby and sometimes it's the whole family.


 We eat ice cream every chance we get!

 Our circus went to THE Circus! This was my first time to the circus and I thought it was great! It was kind of pricey but how can you put a price tag on fun times? Well, I guess you can. And even though we felt the hit to our wallets we still had fun! And I'm so curious as to how one becomes employed by the circus? I mean the acrobats, highwire acts and the guys in the cagey things I get...those are highly specialized skills that may not be appreciated in corporate America, but how did they learn to do that stuff? And there's the dancers/singers, musicians, stage hands and the clowns etc. etc. Do they offer on the job training? How do you even go about applying to work in the circus? Does Ringling Brother's put an ad in the paper or something? I'm totally curious...

 I'm not sure who was more excited to see the elephants me or Abby.



 Captive audience..

 These guys are NUTS!

 Yeah, you better be smiling that's a $12 bag of cotton candy right there. At least the hat that came with it was "free".
 I was completely fascinated by the tigers and you could totally see their different personalities when being told what to do by the trainer. Some would protest and give a little 'tude, some would be quick to obey and eager to please, and some were sorta like Eh, whatever just doing my job..

 The tiger trainer was also the elephant trainer and the horse trainer.
He must be some sort of animal whisperer. 
 I think there were 11 or 12 tigers he was working with at the same time. I've always felt sort of bad for the animals in the circus like that's no life for them. But it seemed to me that this trainer really cared about the animals and it seemed like they liked him too.
Well...I guess well enough not to eat him anyway.

 This picture is of a guy set on fire and catapulted across the arena onto an airbag. I'm happy to say he landed safely and was extinguished at the right time.
 The elephants doing their tricks...Loved it!









AND...Of course we've been playing at Splashtown! 
Not as much as we'd like, it's been raining a LOT! But the kids love it. Except Abby tells me every time we go; "Mom, don't let me drown again!" Because the 1st time we went, she went down a slide and I didn't catch her when (she thought) I should have and her head went under water. So she thinks she "drowned". I'm not sure what other people think when they hear her say that...oh, well.






That's some of our summer fun so far.. Looking forward to more fun coming up!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Houston drivers are the worst! I have never lived anywhere else that daily has light posts or brick signs knocked down by drivers. I saw a girl get hit by a car once and it was a pretty good hit. Her mom just yelled at her because they were going to miss the bus. Craziness! Abby and Ethan are growing up so fast! I'm glad you're able to visit the cemetery each week. It must be special for just you and Abby to go sometimes.