Thursday, July 22, 2010

To Run Or Not To Run, That Is The Question...

O.K. This may be crazy talk, but I'm seriously considering training for a marathon that is in November. And if I do want to do it in November, I need to start training ASAP(like Monday)...So I REALLY want to do a marathon, it's something I've always wanted to do but have never really done anything to get me even remotely close to that goal. I've done a total of 2 5k's and not really boasting about my time or my athletic prowess on those! Although my friend Jackie and I were doing pretty good at running 3 miles 3x or 4x a week (for a whopping total of 9-12 miles a week) that's A LOT different than 26.2 in one day!!! And recently sort of tapered off, OK I got lazy and basically stopped (lame excuses like it's hot and humid and it's too early and it's hot and humid and I'm tired and it's hot and humid).

Enter my cousin Dawn, who is doing 12 marathons in 12 months, I know...She's amazing, and she has 5 kids, yes I said 5, you can read about her here: http://www.racingdawn.blogspot.com/


Her November marathon is bringing her to Texas and my first thought was that we could go cheer her on, then the next thought was that I could do the marathon with her (even though I doubt we'd actually run together-she's the professional). Then the next thought was "Your crazy!"


But I am actually thinking about doing it! So maybe some of you need to talk me down off the ledge and knock some sense into me. But this might the best and only opportunity for me to do a marathon, what with my advanced age ;) and my current non preg-o status and all...I can only imagine the feeling of having that unattainable goal within my reach and then to accomplish it!? Now that would be an amazing feeling! But is that feeling worth all the pain and suffering I'll have to go through to get there? I'm not so sure! But I think I would feel bad if I didn't try and I don't want to regret it either. But I also know I am a bit lazy (ok a lot lazy) and I really need to be realistic about the whole thing too...



Is this all crazy talk? Should I just go about my business, that doesn't include running, and just forget about it?! And just be happy for my awesome cousin and her amazing marathon accomplishments! And hope one day I magically get the courage and the endurance to actually do it too?! Or do I just throw caution to the wind and go for it?

To run or not to run, that IS the question...

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner to comment! GO FOR IT! However, realize you have a LOT of work to do in only 4 months. If you really want to be successful doing it though, you need to make sure Alex is on board too. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to train or a marathon - it's great as you make progress, but it takes so much time. For example, last Friday I got up at 5:30 AM to run 15 miles. I was running/cooling down/stretching until 8:30 AM. It is a LOT of work. But I felt awesome after the 1/2 marathon and I'm SO excited about completing the full. That might be an idea - sign up for the 1/2 Marathon in November, see how it goes, and then go from there. I could go on and on and on (and gladly will in an email). For me right now I'm so glad I'm training for it. It is a lot of hard work, but it feels awesome. IF you really want it, you can do it!!

Singled Out said...

Yeah, totally crazy...why in the world would you want to run in Houston?!?!?!? It's hot and humid AND hot and humid. Don't do it! Your shins and toenails will thank you for it. Leave the running to the other side of the family (the overachievers...and you know who you are!) and leave the laziness where it belongs...on THIS side of the family tree. Course, if you do decide, I will totally support and encourage you every painful step of the way.

Kelli said...

Carrie-you're like my voice of reason. Thank you for sharing all that you did and I'm looking forward to an email full of details and helpful hints! And actually you're part of the reason I decided to try to do this, you inspired me, with your training etc. so thanks-I think..

Kristi-Uhhhh, thanks for the support? ;o)

racing dawn said...

RUN RUN RUN! Yay! You can do it! I will help you with whatever you need! I'm so excited! Kristi you are now being silenced... :) You can do it! I'm gonna email you with lots of littel tips to get you through these first few weeks! I'm so excited! You're gonna love it & hate it at the same time - it's gonna be great!