Friday, May 21, 2010

I Got Me A Good One!

Alex and I will be celebrating our 8th anniversary on the 25th of May, and I've been reflecting a lot on our life together recently. It's funny, the way things work out and not always like you'd expect them too, but I think that's good. It makes things interesting even serendipitous. Alex and I have come a long way, baby! A VERY long way!

We met at the singles branch a month after he got off his mission and I had just moved to Texas. I introduced myself to him after he spoke at church, and while that got his attention, and insisted it was love at first sight, I thought I was just being friendly. We were friends, we shared a lot of the same friends so we hung out together but not exclusively. And I knew he was a nice, happy, ready to help anyone kind of guy. But I just wasn't interested, why again? Now I'm not so sure! I think there was a lot I needed to learn.


Fast forward 3 years (Alex asked me out on and off for 3 years, in between dating just about everyone under the sun), one night we end up driving to Galveston together in his truck (only room for 2) for a single's activity. We laughed and laughed and he was so nice and such a gentleman, really looked out for me and I specifically remember thinking "He's such a nice guy, I need to be nicer to him." And that was the turning point in our "relationship". He asked me out shortly after that and I knew I was in trouble when I was getting ready and nothing looked right, I tried on all my clothes, all my sister's clothes and my sister said "Kelli, why do you care so much, it's just Alex..." Obviously something had changed for me. So we dated for a solid year and were engaged for 6 months.


So here we are 9.5 years later with two kids (and a dog), two cars (and an old '72 Chevy truck that needs a "little" work) and a mortgage ...I sure am grateful that I finally came to my senses and picked Alex...He's such a great husband and a really good daddy!


The BIG day~May 25, 2002



Hawaii 2005
Utah 2003-This is the very first snowman Alex ever built!


Proud Daddy with a 3 day old Ethan

Proud Daddy with 3 day old Abby-2009


As a matter of fact two things happened this week that just reaffirmed that fact to me...

An old family friend, whom he hasn't spoken too since before we were married, called today and asked for Alex's help in finding a friend of theirs who hasn't been seen for about 9 days (this friend is a 40 yr. old with a few problems but can take care of herself) and they were concerned about her. Now I was saying terrible things like "Why is she calling you?" "Can't someone else help her?", "Why you?", "You're going to be late for work!" And he just got his car keys and said "She needs my help, I'm going to help her." And he did, that's just the way he is. There is nothing he wouldn't do for someone if they asked. And people remember that about him.


AND

His boss received an email from a nurse that works in the MICU at Methodist Hospital, where Alex works. She wanted to let his boss know her appreciation for Alex, because while he was working in a patient's room he heard the patient ask this nurse for some coffee and an oatmeal raisin cookie from the cafeteria. The nurse said they'd get her some coffee right away and would work on getting her some cookies. After Alex finished his work, he went straight to the cafeteria and bought that patient two small bags of oatmeal raisin cookies and brought them back to the nurse to give to the patient. The nurse mentioned that "...he didn't do it for recognition but just felt that the patient needed a little pick me up." Both the nurse and the patient were grateful and the patient insisted the nurse write an email to Alex's boss to say thank you and make sure his act of kindness didn't go unnoticed.

These examples are just a small glimpse of the enormous heart and generous spirit that Alex has, and I feel so blessed to experience this life's journey with him!

Yep I got me a good one all right!
Love ya honey!
Happy 8th Anniversary!

7 comments:

Jen said...

I loved reading your dating story...especially since I knew you guys that whole time! And while I haven't seen y'all in many years I happen to think you both are wonderful and I'm very glad I get to keep up with you via reading this blog. Congrats on 8 years!

Singled Out said...

Alex has for sure raised the bar so high for any future husband for the Peterson girls. There may not be any left who even come close to measuring up. He's a good one! We all love him!

Matt said...

Alex is the man. If your vacant house ever floods or your son flushes his spiderman underroos down the toilet - Alex will be there within an hour. The man is a service machine and an awesome fried. Kelly ain't so bad either :-). We miss you guys!

Adam Stephanie KaileeJo Taydom and Hadley said...

Congrats on 8. I can't wait until I make it there. Being married to wonderful men is the best and I'm glad we are both in the My Husband Rocks Club!

Sara said...

Congrats on the Anniversary to two of my favorite people ever!!!

The Pemberton Family said...

I LOVE HIM....

Kristin said...

As a first-hand witness, I can testify that it was love at first sight and Alex was pretty patient in his wooing. I can also confirm that he is the best home teacher I've ever had. Love you both!