I realize this may be a strange post but I think that any time you realize you've taken certain things for granted and gained a new appreciation for them it's blog worthy. So what is that I've been taking for granted? Two things really the first is air conditioning and the second is my handyman husband.
So the air conditioner stopped working on Sunday afternoon uggghhh! Well it worked it just wasn't blowing out cold air uuggghhh! So I guess technically that means it wasn't working since that's really it's only job. I went to get Ethan up from his nap and looked at the thermostat and it said 78 degrees--OK no biggie just switch on the A/C. Well an hour later Alex checked the thermostat and it still said 78 degrees! So my handyman husband goes outside and takes the A/C apart and thinks he figures out the problem (having took A/C and refrigeration in H.S.), but there's no way to get it fixed on a Sunday afternoon. Luckily we had dinner plans at some friends house (thanks Sells) so we left for a good part of the evening. And luckily it's not August! But it's been very humid (91%) and about 80 degrees so it feels hotter than it actually is. So we dealt with it Sunday night and since Alex had to work all day Monday. Ethan and I sweated to death at home-while Alex tried to call around and get confirmation that what he thought was going on was the thing that was actually going on.
Anyway he calls me at 5PM while on his way home and says I talked to a guy and he says the part should cost about $20 and I can probably fix it myself BUT I can't get the part until TOMORROW (since all the A/C parts stores are closed by this time-nope you can't just go to Home Depot) or I can have him come out right now and pay him at least $60. Now by this time I'm slaving over a hot stove trying to cook dinner and have been suffering in the hot hot house all day long--so I'm a major grump. "Pay the guy the $60 dollars!" I yell. "This is no time to be frugal!" "I'm dying here!" I'm not usually that dramatic but I guess the heat brings it out in me. Anyway so we/he decides that we can survive one more night without A/C, much to my chagrin (and honeslty it wasn't THAT terrible). BUT to his credit Alex did get up early early this morning and went to the A/C supply store and got the part he needed (for about $15 bucks) came home and had it all done before Ethan and I woke up! I must say I was so happy to feel the cool air blowing on my face-I love air conditioning-I will never take it for granted again! And it just confirms the fact that I could never have been a pioneer, or at least a very pleasant one.
So thanks handyman hubby-not only did you save us $50+ bucks but you helped me be cool again.
Grandad's Creations
1 month ago
4 comments:
Um seriously, if your air goes out again, come over to my house, we'll keep you cool... If you can handle the long walk! I am glad it's fixed now. Looks like you are going to have to share Alex with anyone who has a broken A/C now not just plumbing problems!
Thanks for the offer Terri! We'll definitely take you up on that. But I'm thinking we'll drive to your house in our nice air conditioned car since it's SO far :)
Gotta love Alex! I miss his handyman skills!
Rixners have a broken A/C and just asked tonight if we knew anyone who had A/C fixing skills. Hmmm . . . looks like Alex will be getting a call. And his advice for fixing our toilet - great. We got a new tank cheap and were able to fix it ourselves. What a great handyman!
Post a Comment