Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sowing Seeds of Love...

{No, not THOSE kind of seeds, sheesh people get your minds out of the gutter! I'm talking actual seeds to create actual vegetables (hopefully)}.

Spring has sprung!

And I LOVE it!

We've been busily cleaning up our yard and fertilizing, weeding, mowing, edging, mulching, digging, watering, planting and planting some more!


I've wanted to plant a garden in a planter box for a couple years but never did because we figured Daisy would try to dig it all up and or eat it all, so since she's not around to wreak that kind of havoc, we decided to go for it. Alex made a huge planter box from some wood we had laying around. We carefully selected the veggies we wanted to plant and hopefully it will pay off. Never done any type of vegetable gardening before and I'm excited to see if it will work out. We planted lettuce, peas, bell pepper, onion, tomato, cucumber, carrots and cilantro, oh and pumpkins (those were planted in the ground, not the planter box). Given that we have no clue what we're doing, I honestly don't have high hopes that we'll get too much "fruit" {or veggies} from our labors but time will tell.


We also planted a new tree in our front yard, after receiving some {not so} nice "love" notes from our HOA, their love notes can be pretty persuasive! They {not so} "gently" reminded us that EVERYONE must have at least one tree in their front yard. So we planted a Bradford Pear, to replace the big old pine that laid down and gave up during hurricane Ike. Hopefully the Bradford Pear will survive and do well! Again time will tell.



Ethan was such a great helper planting the tree, Alex got him a kid sized shovel and taught him how to effectively and efficiently dig a hole.


Surveying his handiwork





AND...


Abby got a new swimsuit...
YAY FOR SPRINGTIME IN TEXAS!

4 comments:

Benjamin Swanson said...

Super cute! You'll have to let me know if that garden works out! I've been wanting to do one for about 3.5 years now and still have the wood lying around in my garage. Looks awesome Kelli. Alex said you have been keeping him pretty with lots of projects. Fun fun!

Mindy and Benjamin said...

oops, that was me, not ben

Melanie B said...

Awesome. I'm contemplating attempting a garden. I'm nervous the School of Buns did not include training on gardening.

Kristin said...

Love the garden. Hate neighborhood associations.