Background info...Abby has a large hemangioma (birthmark) on her back a little bit bigger than a silver dollar. Because it's the type of birth mark where blood vessels are clumped together and because it's almost directly over her spine, there is some concern that as it grows that the blood vessels could grow down toward her vertabrae and spine and potentially cause some problems...At Abby's 2 month check up, in March, the pediatrician thought we should get an MRI just to see what it looks like and to get it done fairly quickly, she didn't want to wait til "something happened". So I schedule the MRI at Texas Children's for June 3rd which was the first available date. Everything was approved, we were all set to go.
Fast forward to the end of May...Alex's company decides to switch providers...Long story short the new insurance was effective June 1st BUT they require pre-authorization for MRI's, CT scans etc. etc. (unbeknownest to us) AND it takes 3 days to get the approval. Abby's MRI was scheduled June 3rd obviously not enough time to get approval...So bascially after being on the phone all day Tuesday with the Doctor's Office, Texas Children's. etc. etc. trying to get the approval in time for the appointment, we ended up having to re-schedule. It is now scheduled for July 29th. And I'm really hoping the delay doesn't mean that if something is wrong with Abby that the next 5 weeks won't make it worse...But as Alex said if the doctor really felt strongly that it was causing her problems, it would get done...And I guess he's right...It's still a little nerve racking...Plus I know this is a pretty minor thing compared to what a lot of people have to go through with sick kids. But frustrating and annoying nonetheless...
But I'm wondering...
Why in the world does it take 3 days to get approval for a 4 month old (with no medical history) to get approval for a procedure that is already scheduled?
A huge chunk of our income goes to health insurance, if we're paying so much, why is it so hard to get good service??
I really think the health insurance industry needs an overhaul BUT NOT with socialized or nationalized medicine. Maybe just some good old fashioned common sense would do...
How do parents with really sick children deal with not only the stress of having a sick child but also all the health insurance red tape and frustration that goes along with that...I can't even imagine.
So even though Tuesday was super frustrating, it just made me realize how grateful I am that our kids are healthy AND yes I'm even glad to have health insurance...Neither of which I'll take for granted again!
Grandad's Creations
1 month ago
3 comments:
I feel your pain!! Oh, have I been there before, except I was already at the Dr's office... my insurance started on May 1st but I apperently didn't pick my Dr (because they didn't send me anything) and why in the world would they think of keeping the same dr they've had for years... anyway, it ended with me in tears and a very expensive Dr visit bill.
That is so frustrating!! I hate insurance companies, I just don't get them. I hope everything works out for you and for little Abby!! But I do agree with Alex. LOVE YA!!
Don't even get me started on insurance. The only reason I've kept working as long as I have is for the insurance. Almost my entire paycheck goes to cover our insurance. It's so frustrating.
Post a Comment