My patience that is..I guess after that last post, there was too much lovey dovey goin' on. So Ethan is trying his best to give me a reality check. And it's making me COMPLETELY frustrated! Ever since we got rid of the binky naptime has not gone so great. He gets out of bed every two seconds for about an hour (or more) and it has me at my wits end. I end up yelling at him which I feel bad about, and then he feels bad too. And we get nowhere. So I'm not creating the best naptime environment although we have kept the pre naptime routine the same as it was when he had the binky. Read two books and he goes to sleep. It's just SO maddening because he was an awesome napper while he had the bink. I think he thinks it's a fun little game to get Mommy frustrated and he giggles while I'm chasing him back to bed. UUUUUGGGGHHHHH! Help! I'm so frustrated. So I figure I need to:
1. Get over that he may not nap everyday (although I do think he still needs a nap everyday)
or
2. Have a different approach about naptime and putting him back in bed.
I've tried to do what the Super Nanny and Nanny 911 do. They say the first time they get out of bed is take them back to bed and tell them it's time to sleep, the second time they get out of bed you put them back in bed and don't say anything and you keep doing that after each time they get up. But they don't show you what to do after the 50th time and it's an hour later. And it always shows the kid being cured of it after one night...Not our Ethan though. He does it at night too, gets out of bed, before going to sleep (which he was doing before we got rid of the binky) but not nearly as bad, maybe once or twice. And I don't think it's because he's NOT tired enough. He's been going to bed late and waking up early. I'm really not sure what to do anyone have any suggestions??
Grandad's Creations
1 month ago
7 comments:
Have you tried hog-tying and gagging? You could also try a frying pan. I've found that it only takes a few swift blows to the head and they go down right away...and stay down. Just a thought, it worked with my boys.
Hey Mattamorphasis... that's what I was going to say! Weird! Anyway, sometimes they are just done with naps, try an alternitive, like movie time or sit in your room for quitet play (a locking door from the outside is required) :)
Thank you Mattamorphasis, as always, wise counsel. I have to admit that visions of hog tying and the frying pan came to mind when I put him down tonight and I couldn't help but giggle! So thanks for that at least!
amazing how that sounds so similar to what my boy does. i usually just resort to yelling and pulling my hair out. though i don't recommend it. i really don't have advice, i guess guess i just want to you to know that i feel your pain. actually, recently i have been accosting a toy each time he leaves his room-not sure if it is working yet...he just gets really mad.
Hooray for kids that don't think they need a nap, but still do. Maybe Abby finding her fingers instead of a binky is a good thing - Brenna has never taken a pacifier, but still sucks on her fingers at naptime and STILL (even at 4) takes great naps almost every day. One thing that worked with Danny was a chart for a little while. If he stayed in his room until "happy time," (3:30 at our house, meaning he'd be in the room at least 1 1/2 hours) he got a sticker. 5 stickers meant a prize at the dollar store. I told him he didn't have to sleep, but had to stay in his room - usually he fell asleep after looking at books or playing in his bed for a while. Now he's doing pretty good at staying in his room without a chart. I think the frying pan is an excellent idea though. I wouldn't have so many charts and silly dollar store prizes if I'd thought of that one earlier. Hang in there!
Give him back his binky- i'm serious- it is such a pavlov thing. That was his little lovey- and he probably misses it. And, the other thing is- it probably is a stage of nap time/no nap time. I went through that with Isaac and it IS MADDENING. But, try the binky and if that doesn't work then try a quiet time where he doesn't have to nap, but has to stay in his room by himself for a while. Maybe that would help? Oh, and I forgot, we put on a spinner knob on the inside of Isaacs door for a while.
So
1. Bring back binky
2. quiet time
3. get a spinner knob which they can't get out of their room
Thats all I got- good luck!
I haven't tried to take away the binky yet. But when Baylie won't sleep, sometimes if I lay down with her for awhile, she'll fall asleep and stay asleep.
Post a Comment